A firm family favourite in our house. This is the kind of pudding I love after something cosy like roast chicken, mashed potatoes and lashings of gravy.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 oz (25 g) butter
- 9 oz (250 g) caster or granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 oz (25 g) plain flour
- 1 orange juice and zest
- ½ lemon juice
- 5 fl oz (150 ml) milk
- 1 litre (1¾ pint) capacity ovenproof dish
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas mark 4.
- Place the butter, sugar and egg yolks in a bowl and cream together, using a wooden spoon or the paddle attachment of an electric food mixer, until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour, then fold into the mixture along with the orange zest, orange and lemon juice, and milk.
- In a separate, clean dry bowl, whisk together the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Fold the egg whites into the orange mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the dish, then place in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes. The top should be set, with a layer of orange curd on the bottom. Remove from the oven and serve with softly whipped cream or ice cream.