- Yield: 24 cupcakes
- Preparation Time: 25 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 Minutes
For the Cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips
- 24 Oreo cookies (optional)
For the Frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, at room temperature
- 3½ to 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 to 7 teaspoons heavy cream
- 10 Oreo cookies, crushed into fine crumbs
- 12 Oreo cookies, cut in half, or 24 mini Oreo cookies (optional)
How to Make It
Make the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, mix together the eggs and oil. Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, sour cream, and vanilla and mix until combined and the batter is smooth and creamy. Stir in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the batter to the bottom of each muffin cup and then press one Oreo (if using) into each cup. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons more batter, filling the cups two-thirds full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Make the Frosting
- While the cupcakes are cooling, in a medium bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the butter until fluffy. Slowly add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth and creamy. Add the cream, 1 teaspoon at a time, as needed to thin out the frosting. You want the frosting to be stiff, but still spreadable. Stir in the cookie crumbs. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip (or use a zip-top bag with one corner snipped off) and frost the cupcakes. (Alternatively, you can spread the frosting on with a spatula.)
- For an extra-special touch, add half an Oreo (or a mini Oreo) to the top of each cupcake.