These apple doughnuts are a fun and healthy treat, and the kids will love to roll up their sleeves and decorate them with you. They remind me of a gourmet caramel apple, but are much easier to make. Dress up the apples with toppings such as coconut, sprinkles, chocolate chips, nuts, and Dreamy Caramel Sauce.
- Yield: 12 apple doughnuts
- 3 or 4 large tart apples
- ¼ cup chocolate chips, melted
- ¼ cup smooth peanut butter, melted
- Optional toppings: coconut flakes, sprinkles, chocolate chips, Craisins, nuts, granola, toffee bits, marshmallow crème, Homemade Hot Fudge, Dreamy Caramel Sauce
- Cut each apple crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Core the slices with a knife or using a 1-inch round cookie cutter.
- Place the apples on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper and drizzle melted chocolate (or sauce of your choice) and sprinkle your favorite toppings on top of the apple slices.