- Yield: 1 Serving
- 2–3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for sautéing
- 1 small potato, peeled and shredded
- 1⁄2 red pepper, small dice
- 1⁄2 green pepper, small dice
- 1⁄2 onion, small dice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2–4 tablespoons melted sweet butter, for grilling
- 2 slices whole wheat pugliese bread
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
How to Make It
- In a sauté pan, heat oil to medium heat. Add shredded potato, red and green peppers, and onion. Stir continuously. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until potatoes begin to brown. Set aside.
- Brush the melted butter on the outside of the 2 slices of bread. In a new, unheated sauté pan, place 1 slice of bread butter side down. Place freshly made hashbrowns on the bread followed by shredded Monterey jack cheese. Place the other slice of bread on top, butter side up. Turn burner to medium heat.
- Let sandwich cook on medium heat for 3–5 minutes per side or until bread is golden brown.
- Cut on the diagonal and serve warm.