Tender, Asian-style meatballs are simmered with bits of green bell pepper and chunks of golden pineapple. Serve the meatballs on steamed rice or Cashew Fried Rice.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Preparation Time: 35 Minutes
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground turkey
- ¼ cup (60 ml) dried breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tsp (10 ml) peeled, grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 14 oz (398 ml) can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup (60 ml) ketchup
- ¼ cup (60 ml) rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) honey
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cornstarch
- 19 oz (540 ml) can unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix to combine. Moisten your hands with cold water. Roll the meat mixture into 1½ inch (4 cm) balls and set on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Place the tomato sauce, ketchup, vinegar, honey, soy sauce and cornstarch in your slow cooker and whisk to combine. Add the meatballs, pineapple (fruit and juice) and bell pepper and gently swirl to combine. Cover and cook on the low setting for 6 hours, or until the meatballs are tender. Sprinkle servings of the meatballs with green onion.