A crunchy crust, cinnamon and apple filling, and a sweet topping— who needs pie when you can whip up these bars for on the go!
- Yield: 2 dozen
For Crust and Topping
- 3 cups (220 g) Enjoy Life Perky’s “Nutty” Rice Cereal
- ½ cup (120 ml) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (50 g) superfine sugar
- ¼ cup (85 g) honey or (60 ml) pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon (3 g) salt
- ¼ cup (30 g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
For Apple Filling
- 1 cup (235 ml) apple juice
- 1 teaspoon (2.3 g) ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup (60 g) packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons (24 g) cornstarch
- 3 apples, cut into almond size pieces
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vegetable oil
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C, or gas mark 3). To make the Crust
- Place cereal in food processor and process until mixture resembles cornmeal. Add remaining crust ingredients and pulse until cereal crumbs are well coated. Press mixture into a greased 9-inch (23-cm) square baking pan, reserving ½ cup for topping.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool To make the Apple Filling
- Mix together apple juice, cinnamon, brown sugar, and starch in a medium saucepan. Add in apples and oil. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thick and bubbly
- Pour over crust. Sprinkle reserved topping over apple mixture.
- Return to oven for 15 minutes. Cool completely and cut into bars.