When he can’t stop laughing, Mary Poppins’ Uncle Albert floats up to the ceiling, where he rolls about in fits of giggles! Although this behavior is somewhat inappropriate how are you supposed to drink your tea without spilling it when you’re bobbing around high above the floor? these sandwiches are perfect for teatime with a bird’s-eye view!
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 9 oz canned sardines in water
- 1 oz unsalted butter
- 1 lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- Drain the sardines, cut them in half lengthwise and remove the backbone. Mash them in a bowl with the butter and lime juice, and season with salt and pepper.
- Rinse the cherry tomatoes, cut them in half, and let them drain for a few moments. Don’t make any jokes or tell any funny stories or hilarious anecdotes; keep a straight face or you will take off and not come back down!
- Spread half of the bread slices with the fishy mixture, place a tomato half in the center of each, and top with the second slice of bread.
- Tssttssstss, I hear you tittering Come on, be serious just a little longer! Ignore Uncle Albert, who is bouncing off the walls in time with his uncontrollable laughter, and cut the sandwiches using the cookie cutter of your choice (star, umbrella, parrot). Now that you’ve reached this point you’re nearly there, take a deep breath, arrange the remaining tomato halves on top and now you can at last let out all the laughter. Enjoy on the ceiling!