Elvis Presley was a cultural icon in the 1950s and ’60s, and his legacy even spilled over into the culinary world. His love of peanut butter, bananas, and bacon is the stuff of legend, and once you try this sandwich, you’ll see why!
- Yield: 4 sandwiches
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 3 Minutes
- 8 thick-cut bacon slices, chopped
- 1½ cups creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 8 thick slices brioche bread
- 4 bananas, sliced into ¼-inch-thick rounds
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
How to Make It
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to cool. Pour the rendered bacon fat into a small bowl.
- In another small bowl, stir together the bacon and the peanut butter.
- In another small bowl, combine 6 tablespoons of the butter and the granulated sugar. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat. Spread the mixture on one side of each slice of bread.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat in the skillet used to fry the bacon. Add the bananas and brown sugar and cook until caramelized, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spread all 8 slices of bread with about 3 tablespoons of the peanut butter mixture.
- Divide the bananas evenly on 4 of the peanut butter bread slices.
- Press the remaining 4 bread slices on top.
- Place ½ tablespoon butter in the skillet and let melt. Add the sandwich to the skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until brown, then flip and brown the other side for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Set the sandwich on a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Repeat with the remaining sandwiches. Cut in half and serve.