My favorite proteins to serve in homemade Indian curries are chicken, lentils, and chickpeas. But where chicken and lentils have a longer cooking time, chickpeas are fast. Keep a couple of cans of chickpeas (typically labeled garbanzo beans) in your pantry, along with some coconut milk, and you’ll be well on your way to a quick and easy meatless dinner. This is great served over steamed rice, but our favorite way to enjoy it is with this homemade flatbread.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk
- ½ cup plain tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped mango
- 3 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the curry powder, garam masala, and cayenne pepper. Toast the spices, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Stir in the salt. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes, or until the onion is tender. Pour in the coconut milk, tomato sauce, and chickpeas.
- Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until heated through. Turn off the heat and stir in the mango and spinach, folding the spinach in until it just begins to wilt. Add the lemon juice and season with additional salt as needed to taste. Serve promptly with flatbread.