Pan Pizza is everything good about the toppings on a regular pie, with the addition of lots and lots of baked crust. The recipe makes enough dough for two pies. If you’re only making one pie, store the extra dough in a covered bowl or container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Yield: 2 12-inch pizzas
- 2½ cups plus 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 packet (2¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons to drizzle on top
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup tomato sauce (or pizza sauce)
- 1½ cups assorted grated cheese, including mozzarella and provolone
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese Assorted pizza toppings
- Whisk together 2 tablespoons of the warm water and the molasses in a medium bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on top and let rest for 2 minutes, until it becomes foamy.
- Meanwhile, add the flour to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. With the mixer running at low speed, slowly add the yeasted water and one-third of the remaining 2½ cups warm water. Add ¼ cup of the oil, then add another third of the water. Continue adding water until the dough comes together and is a smooth ball. This will take about 8 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a clean cloth, and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F/230°C. Oil the bottom and sides of a 12-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Punch down the dough and divide it in half. Stretch one half of the dough into a wide circle. Sprinkle a 12-inch cast-iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of the cornmeal and place the dough in the skillet, cover, and let rise for 15 minutes. Do the same with the remaining dough in a second skillet, or reserve that dough for later.
- Shape the dough in the skillet again, making sure it is thicker on the edges, by pressing the center.
- Parbake the crust for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Add the sauce, cheeses, and toppings, then drizzle with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and return to the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the toppings are golden brown.