- Yield: 8 Servings
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 9 Hours
- 1 tbsp dried thyme, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3½ pounds beef short ribs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 1 (14½ ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) package quick-cooking couscous
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
How to Make It
- In a small bowl, combine thyme, salt, ginger, pepper, and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly oven short ribs; rub in with your fingers. In a large skillet, brown short ribs, half at a time, in hot oil over medium-high heat. Drain off fat. In a 6 to 7 quart slow cooker, combine broth, beans, undrained tomatoes, onion, fennel, carrot, and garlic; top with short ribs.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4½ to 5 hours. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bibs and vegetables to a serving dish. If desired, moisten with cooking liquid. Meanwhile, prepare couscous according to package directions. Stir in almonds and olives. Serve with short ribs and vegetables.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.