When pomegranates are in season from late fall to Valentine’s Day, add their ruby red seeds to salads. Simply cut the pomegranate in half, and hold each half over a bowl and hit it with a wooden spoon so the seeds fall into the bowl. The mellow, yet salty taste of ricotta salata is a perfect foil to the other flavors. A simple dressing is all you need.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 4 cups baby greens
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup walnuts, toasted
- ½ cup freshly grated ricotta salata
- ½ cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- Place the greens and onion in a salad bowl. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar and olive oil together.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste. Toss the salad with the dressing, then portion onto plates.
- Top each salad with walnuts, ricotta salata, and pomegranate seeds and serve.