If cooking is about trial and error, I have made more mistakes than most, and no more so than with roasted veggies. In my head, it is so simple: cut ’em, oil ’em, and stick ’em in the oven. Unfortunately, that has too often ended in “call the fire brigade”. So be warned, stick to the rules: preheat the oven, cut the veggies in equal sizes, and don’t pack them three deep.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 carrots
- 1 aubergine
- 1 large courgette
- 1 green pepper, deseeded
- 1 red pepper, deseeded
- 6 whole garlic cloves (optional)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6).
- Cut the vegetables into equal-sized pieces. Lay them on 2 baking trays with the garlic (if using), making sure the veggies are not too close together.
- Drizzle the olive oil over, starting with the aubergine as it will need the most oil. Almost massage the oil into the veg before seasoning well with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 30 minutes, turning after 15 minutes. (Check for tenderness with a knife.) The veggies should be charred but not burned.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, and oil. (Be warned: if you use a whole clove of garlic, the mayo will be pretty punchy.) Serve with the roast veggies.