Cheryl Hickman is one of a handful of professional opera singers who come from Newfoundland and Labrador. She’s sung in operas in many parts of the world, with many different companies. It was fascinating to listen to her stories of life on the road and meeting singers like Placido Domingo. We learned much as well about Opera on the Avalon, which Cheryl founded to assist up-and-coming opera stars in their educational development. We also managed to make this excellent recipe for medallions of pork tenderloin.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1½ lb (680 g) pork tenderloin, fat trimmed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1 cup (250 ml) white wine
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried rosemary
- ½ tsp (2 ml) dried thyme
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 0.33 cup (80 ml) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) whipping cream
- 3 tsp (15 ml) honey grain mustard
- 1 lb (454 g) asparagus tips, grilled
- 2 red peppers, quartered and grilled
- Cut tenderloin in 3-oz (90 ml) medallions. Season with salt. Heat butter in frying pan on high. Add tenderloin medallions and turn to brown on all sides. Reduce heat to medium low and add wine, rosemary, thyme, and pepper. Turn pork after 5 minutes. Transfer pork to platter and keep warm.
- Add cream and honey grain mustard. Stir and reduce to sauce consistency. Serve medallions topped with pan sauce accompanied by grilled asparagus and peppers.