These Breakfast Potatoes are the undressed version of the classic breakfast dish. They go with everything from pancakes to scrambled eggs. Additions could include diced red onion, celery, and bell pepper. You can make these ahead of time and even freeze them for up to 2 months; just defrost, if needed, and reheat in a well-oiled pan.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 4 baking potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ground sweet or smoked paprika
- Large pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Place the potatoes and a generous pinch of salt in a large pot and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and let cook for 5 minutes, until the potatoes are just parcooked, then drain them.
- Place the potatoes in a bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of the oil, along with the paprika, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the potatoes to the pan in a single layer. Let brown for 5 to 6 minutes, without stirring. Then turn the potatoes.
- Place the pan in the oven and roast for 20 to 30 minutes, until the potatoes are golden brown and crisp, turning once.