Smoothies became an important part of my life a few years ago when I was lucky enough to receive a Vitamix, a blender with a really powerful motor. I tend to be very ad hoc about putting ingredients together, but I definitely take advantage of summer berries from our Saturday Barossa market and try to have properly ripe bananas on hand, which I peel, cut into chunks and freeze. Frozen fruit not only adds flavour, it instantly creates an iced drink. I like to keep a good supply of coconut water, which I buy by the case to be more economical.
- Yield: 2 Servings
- 125 g fresh or frozen blueberries
- 150 g ripe fresh or frozen banana
- 3 tablespoons raw macadamia nuts
- 200 ml natural coconut water
- 1 tablespoon white chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- 100 g ice cubes (unless using frozen fruit)
- Small handful mint leaves, to serve
- Place all the ingredients, except the mint, in the jug of a high-powered blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into 2 glasses and serve immediately, topped with mint leaves.