- Yield: 1 Serving
- 1⁄2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 jumbo egg
- 2 slices, 1⁄2" thick, eggplant, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup ricotta cheese or Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce + extra 1⁄4 cup for dipping, if desired
- 1 teaspoon chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix panko bread crumbs and dried basil in a bowl and place cracked egg in a separate bowl. Individually place slices of eggplant in egg and then in bread crumbs, making sure to cover entire slices.
- Prepare grill pan by warming olive oil to medium heat. Cook coated eggplant slices for 3–5 minutes per side or until coating is crunchy.
- In a baking pan, place 1 eggplant slice followed by the ricotta or Parmesan cheese, tomato sauce, and chopped red onion. Top with other eggplant slice.
- Bake for 5 minutes, enough to warm the ricotta or melt the Parmesan, depending on which cheese you have selected.
- Serve hot with fork and knife