If you are looking for something on the hearty side to pair with your morning eggs or afternoon sandwich fixings, you have found it. This whole-wheat bread is simple and slightly sweet with a touch of honey.
- Yield: 4 Loaves
- 1.3 lbs (589.7 g) bread flour
- 1.3 lbs (589.7 g) whole-wheat flour
- 1.3 lbs (589.7 g) water
- 15 lb (68.04 g) honey
- 15 lb (68.04 g) vegetable oil
- 68 lb (308.4 g) white starter
- 6 lb (27.22 g) salt
- 5 lb (22.68 g) sugar
- 1 lb (4.54 g) instant yeast
How to Make It
- Set up stand mixer with a dough hook.
- Place both flours, water, honey, oil, white starter, salt, sugar, and yeast in mixing bowl.
- Mix on medium-low for 4 minutes.
- Mix on medium-high for 8 minutes.
- Dough temperature should be between 76°F and 78°F/24°C and 26°C.
- Dough should appear shiny and pull away from the mixing bowl.
- Do the dough test.
- Take dough out of mixing bowl and transfer to lightly oiled airtight container.
- Let dough rest on countertop for approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes. Dough should double in size.
- Roll dough out of container onto a lightly floured work surface (marble or butcher block is ideal).
- Cut dough with a scraper into 4 even squares/rectangles, approximately 1.25 lbs/567 g each.
- Shape each into a boule.
- Let dough rest 3 hours after shaping.
- Score an “X” into the top of the dough before baking.
- Preheat oven to 410°F/210°C.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the crust is golden.