- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 (14 ounce) cans vegetable or chicken broth
- Water, as needed
- 1 cup lentils
- 4 cups packed swiss chard leaves
- 2 shiitake mushrooms, chopped in tiny pieces
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried coriander
- salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
How to Make It
- Place a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the broth and 2 cans of water. Sort the lentils and remove any debris. Once the liquid boils, add the lentils, cover, and boil again. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 20 minutes. Bite into a lentil; if the outside is soft, but the inside is still dense or crunchy, they’re ready.
- Rinse the chard well to remove any sand or dirt. Cut the stem out of the leaf and discard. Tear the leaves into 3" pieces. Once the lentils seem almost done, add the chard, mushroom, ginger, garlic powder, and coriander. Cover, return to a simmer, and cook for 5–10 minutes more, or until the lentils are no longer crunchy in the center. Add salt and pepper to taste.