- Yield: 4 Servings
- 10 plum tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- ½ cup olive oil
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large leek, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried) plus 1 fresh basil
Sprig for garnish if Desired
- 1 cup heavy cream
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Place the tomato halves in a large skillet. Add the garlic cloves and drizzle half the oil on top. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the rest of the oil, onions, and leeks. Cook for 10 minutes. Stir the tomatoes, garlic, and juices into the pan. Stir in the stock, vinegar, and herbs. Use a spoon to crush the tomatoes while they cook. Cook for 20 minutes. Use a stick blender to purée the tomato mixture, or let the soup cool slightly before adding to a stand mixer.
- Boil again and let any unwanted liquid boil off. Turn off heat and stir in cream. Cover for 5 minutes and top with basil sprig, if desired, before serving.