This soup is rich and flavorful, made with roasted sweet potatoes and chorizo and then mixed with full-fat coconut milk for the rich creaminess that you look for in a thick soup or bisque. It’s perfect for a cool dinner with a simple kale salad.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Cooking Time: 60 Minutes
- 4 cubed sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Grass-fed butter
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 5 cup chicken broth
- 1 lb sliced chorizo
- 13 oz full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Chopped chives
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- On a large roasting pan, drizzle the sweet potatoes with the olive oil, and roast until browned and fork-tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add butter to a saucepan and warm over low heat. Sauté the garlic and onions for 10 minutes. Add the roasted sweet potatoes, bay leaves, and broth, and raise the heat to medium-high. Cook on low until boiling, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small skillet, cook the chorizo until crispy, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Kill the heat, and add about ⅓ cup of the cream from the top of the refrigerated can of coconut milk (leave a few tablespoons for topping). Stir well, and carefully purée the soup using either an immersion blender or countertop blender. (If using a countertop blender, blend in batches and hold a clean dishtowel over the lid while blending to avoid hot soup eruptions.)
- In a small bowl, beat the extra coconut cream with a whisk or hand mixer until fluffy.
- Divide into serving bowls, and top with whipped coconut cream and 3 to 4 pieces each of crispy chorizo. Garnish with the chives, and serve.