- 8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 2 cups (500 ml) thick coconut milk
- ½ turmeric leaf, shredded 1 tablespoon Tamarind Juice
- ½ teaspoon salt Crispy Fried Shallots
- Spice Paste
- 1 in (2½ cm) fresh galangal sliced
- ½ in (1 cm) fresh turmeric root, sliced
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric1in (2½ cm) fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 to 4 bird's-eye chilies, deseeded
- 4-5 shallots, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
How to Make It
- Prepare the Spice Paste by grinding all the ingredients coarsely in a mortar or blender and adding a little coconut milk if necessary to keep the mixture turning. Set aside.
- Bring the coconut milk slowly to a boil in a wok or saucepan. Add the Spice Paste and turmeric leaf (if using), mix well and simmer for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the eggs and continue to simmer uncovered until the sauce thickens, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with the Tamarind Juice and salt, simmer for 1 more minute and remove from the heat. Serve hot garnished with Crispy Fried Shallots.