- Yield: 6 Servings
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1⁄2- inch cubes
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 10 whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup toasted walnuts
How to Make It
- To prepare the crème fraîche, whisk together the sour cream, heavy cream, and maple syrup in a small bowl. Let stand at room temperature.
- To prepare the soup, heat the olive oil in a large pot; add the onion. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, cinnamon sticks, cloves, nutmeg, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are very tender, about 25 minutes. Remove 1 cup of the cooking liquid and set aside. Discard the cinnamon sticks and cloves.
- Purée the sweet potatoes and stock using an immersion blender or a stand blender until very smooth. Add the reserved liquid as needed to achieve the desired consistency. Return to the pan and cook until thoroughly heated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into large soup bowls. Garnish with a swirl of crème fraîche and a sprinkle of toasted walnuts.