In this dish, chicken is cooked in a paprika-rich sauce until it is deliciously tender. Serve the chicken with egg noodles and a green vegetable to add color to the plate.
- Yield: 46 Servings
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 6 chicken thighs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 small to medium onions, halved and sliced
- 2 small to medium celery stalks, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 small to medium carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2½ cups (625 ml) chicken stock
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) sweet paprika
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground marjoram
- ½ cup (125 ml) regular or low-fat sour cream
- ½ cup (125 ml) frozen peas
- chopped fresh parsley to taste
How to Make It
- Set an oven rack 6 inches (15 cm) below the broiler. Preheat the broiler to high.
- Set the chicken on a nonstick baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Broil the chicken until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the oven.
- Place the onions, celery, carrots and garlic in your slow cooker and mix to combine. Nestle the chicken into the vegetables. Place the stock, flour, paprika and marjoram in a bowl and whisk to combine. Pour this mixture over the chicken. Cover and cook on the low setting for 6 hours, or until the chicken is very tender.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F (95°C).
- Carefully lift the chicken out of the slow cooker and set in a 13- × 19-inch (3.5 L) serving casserole. Keep the chicken warm in the oven. Ladle ½ cup (125 ml) of the sauce from the slow cooker into a small bowl and whisk in the sour cream. Add this mixture to the remaining sauce and vegetables in the slow cooker and mix well to combine. Stir in the peas, cover and cook for 10 minutes more to heat the sour cream and peas through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the chicken, sprinkle with parsley and serve.