- Yield: 8 Servings
- Total Time: 2 Hours 25 Minutes
- 8 oz. creme fraiche
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2½ cups half-and-half
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb rustic rye bread with crust, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup drained capers plus more for garnish
- Thinly sliced smoked salmon and sliced red onion, for serving
How to Make It
- In a large bowl, whisk the crème fraîche with the eggs, half-and-half, salt and pepper. Add the bread, scallions and the ¼ cup of capers and mix well. Scrape into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, cover with plastic wrap and let soak for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Bake strata for 45 to 50 minutes, until puffed and top is golden. Let stand for 10 minutes. Scatter some salmon on top and garnish with red onion and capers. Serve, passing more salmon at the table.