These are a welcome side dish in the cooler months. The firm, slightly brown Brussels sprouts blend nicely with the creamy, bright-orange squash pieces. To gild the lily you could add some pomegranate seeds for a garnish. Serve this with Butterflied Dry-Brined Roast Turkey with Maple Butter or Pomegranate-Marinated Grilled Lamb Chops.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 2 pounds medium Brussels sprouts, outer leaves and end removed
- 2 pounds peeled winter squash, cut into 1½ -inch pieces
- 3 leeks, light green and white parts only, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Combine the Brussels sprouts, squash, leeks, salt, and olive oil in a shallow roasting pan (a 12-x-17-inch jelly-roll pan works well) and toss to coat. Season with pepper.
- Roast the vegetables for 20 minutes. Move them around so they will cook evenly, and roast for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through and lightly browned. Taste for seasoning.
- Transfer the vegetables to a serving bowl and serve immediately.