I call these no-fuss baked beans because canned beans are used, rather than dried beans. This reduces the cooking time by at least two hours. If you mix all the ingredients together in the morning or the night before, you can get the beans in the oven and on the table in one hour.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 60 Minutes
- 2 medium onion, chopped
- 14 oz (398 ml) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable stock or beer
- ½ cup (125 ml) barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup (60 ml) maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) molasses
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 14 oz (398 ml) cans of great northern or white kidney beans, drained well
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Place all the ingredients in a wide ovenproof pot and stir to combine.
- Cover and bake for 60 minutes, or until bubbling and delicious. Adjust the seasoning and serve.