A light and airy whole-wheat dough sprinkled with millet, coarse rye, oats, and sunflower and flax seeds—add some crunch to your lunchtime sandwich.
- Yield: 4 Loaves
- 1.63 lbs (739.4 g) bread flour
- 7 lb (317.5 g) whole-wheat flour
- 1.33 lbs (603.3 g) water
- 23 lb (104.3 g) honey
- 15 lb (68.04 g) dark rye starter
- 5 lb (226.8 g) white starter
- 6 lb (27.22 g) salt
- 4 lb (181.4 g) grain mix
- 1 lb (4.54 g) instant yeast
How to Make It
- Set up stand mixer with a dough hook.
- Place both types of flour, water, honey, dark rye starter, white starter, salt, grain mix, and yeast in mixing bowl.
- Mix on medium-low for 4 minutes.
- Mix on medium-high for 8 minutes.
- Dough temperature should be between 76°F and 78°F/24°C and 26°C.
- Dough should appear shiny and pull away from the mixing bowl.
- Do the dough test.
- Take dough out of mixing bowl and transfer to lightly oiled airtight container.
- Let dough rest on countertop for approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes. Dough should double in size.
- Roll dough out of container onto a lightly floured work surface (marble or butcher block is ideal).
- Cut dough with a scraper into 4 even squares/rectangles, approximately 1.25 lbs/567 g each.
- Shape each into a free-form oval (see page 61) and cover.
- Let dough rest 3 hours after shaping.
- Preheat oven to 450°F/225°C.
- Bake for 40 minutes until crust is golden.