- Yield: 1 Serving
For Marinated Berries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 medium-sized strawberries
- 1½ ounces raspberries
- 1½ ounces blackberries
- 2–4 tablespoons melted sweet butter, for grilling
- 2 slices Italian bread
- 3⁄4 cup shredded yogurt cheese (Use another mild, creamy cheese such as provolone, if yogurt cheese is unavailable in your area.)
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
How to Make It
- In a sauté pan, combine sugar, lemon and lime zests, vanilla, and water, stirring periodically. Cook on medium heat until the liquid takes on a syrupy texture, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat and place in a small bowl.
- Add berries to marinade in bowl and stir gently, making sure all berries are fully covered. Let sit until ready to make grilled cheese and then drain marinade.
- Brush the melted butter on the outside of the 2 slices of bread.
- In a separate, unheated sauté pan, place 1 slice of bread butter side down. Place berries on top of bread. Follow with yogurt cheese and toasted pine nuts. Place other slice of bread on top, butter side up. Turn burner to medium heat.
- Let sandwich cook for 3–5 minutes per side or until bread is golden brown.
- Cut on the diagonal and serve warm.