The Irish Soda Bread is a variety of the soda bread. It is traditionally made in variety of cuisines, and the leavening of the bread is provided by the acid in buttermilk reacting with the base of the baking soda; it is this leavening that gives the bread the name “soda bread”. These days, it seems everyone has a different favorite recipe for the Irish Soda Bread. The traditional Irish has the essential ingredients of flour, baking soda, buttermilk and salt.
There is usually a cross in the center, and the purpose is to help the heat get to the center of the loaf while baking. Most of the recipes of the modern day Irish Soda Bread are fancied up version of the Irish classic. Most Irish Soda Breads now include butter, sugar, egg, etc. With your Ninja Foodi, making this dish would be very easy.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup buttermilk
- The first step is to close the air crisping lid, and preheat the unit by selecting bake/roast. Set the temperature to 325 Degrees F, and set the cooking time to 5 minutes. Press the start/stop button to begin.
- While the preheating is going on, spray the Ninja multi-purpose pan or your 8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Get a large bowl and combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, using clean fingers, mix the butter with the flour mixture. Continue mixing until it resembles coarse meal; after this add raisins.
- After adding butter, dust your hand with flour and start to turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 1 minute. While kneading, make sure that you do not over knead; over kneading will make the bread turn out very tough.
- While kneading, shape it into a round load and transfer to the prepared lightly greased pan, flattening slightly. Use a serrated knife to cut a ½-inch deep "X" shape into the top of the dough. As stated earlier, this will help heat get to the center of the dough while it cooks.
- Place the reversible rack in the cooking pot, and make sure it is in the lower position; after this, place the pan on the reversible rack. This should be done only after the unit has preheated.
- The next step is to close the air crisping lid, and select the bake/roast function; set the temperature to 325 Degrees F, and set the cooking time to 40 minutes.
- After cooking for about 35 minutes, open lid and insert a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, cooking is complete; if it does not, close lid and allow it to cook for the remaining 5 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, carefully remove rack with pan from the pot. While removing the pot, be very careful as it can be very hot. Let it cool for some minutes, may be about 15 minutes. Serve at room temperature.