Make this classic sandwich with left-over holiday roasted turkey for best flavor. A luscious sauce and bacon topping have made this turkey sandwich famous.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- ¼ cup butter
- 0.33 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 10 Tbsp grated pecorino Romano cheese, divided
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 lb thinly sliced roasted turkey breast
- 4 Texas toast slices
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 8 cooked bacon slices
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
How to Make It
- Preheat broiler with oven rack 4 inches from heat. Melt butter in a heavy 2-qt. saucepan over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in cream; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 3 minutes until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in ½ cup cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Trim crusts from toast. Place 1 toast slice in each of 4 (24-oz.) lightly greased individual casserole dishes. Place 2 tomato halves beside each toast slice. Top toast slices with turkey. Spoon cheese sauce over turkey and tomato; sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp. cheese.
- Broil 5 minutes or until cheese begins to brown. Sprinkle with paprika. Arrange 2 bacon slices in an “X” pattern on top of each casserole. Sprinkle with parsley.