- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 egg whites
- 1 carrot, minced
- 2 ribs celery, minced
- 0.12 onion, minced
- 3½ oz chicken breast, minced
Duck Confit, Breasts and Consomme
- 2 cups duck fat
- 2 whole ducks, 3½-4 lbs, legs removed and lightly seasoned 24 hours in advance
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Pinch of ground cumin
- Pinch of ground ginger
- Pinch of caraway seeds
- Pinch of coriander seeds
- Pinch of ground star anise
- 1 portion clarification
- ¼ cup dark honey
- 2 Tbsp cracked black pepper
- 1 orange, finely grated zest
Stir-Fried Bok Choy
- 2 heads bok choy, 3½ oz each, cored
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp pickled ginger
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 red chili, finely julienned
How to Make It
- This recipe calls for dark honey-buckwheat honey is a good example which is higher in antioxidants than lighter-coloured honeys. Clarification
- In a small bowl, gently whisk egg whites. Add carrot, celery, onion and chicken breast. Duck Con Fit, Breasts and Consomme
- Preheat the oven to 225°F. In an ovenproof pan, gently warm the duck fat. Wash the seasoning off the duck legs, pat them dry, then add them to the duck fat. Cover and cook in the oven for 2 to 3 hours until tender. Remove the legs from the fat and and allow them to set in the fridge, skin-side down. When set, trim the legs to a drumstick shape.
- Remove the breasts from the duck and lightly score the skin. Refrigerate until needed.
- Chop the duck carcass into 2-inch pieces. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan on high heat. Add duck bones and roast for 6 to 8 minutes until brown. Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, cumin, ginger, caraway seeds, coriander seeds and star anise, and roast until vegetables are slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours. Strain the stock through a fine sieve and chill.
- Whisk the clarification into the cold stock, place on medium heat and stir gently until a pad forms on top of stock. Break a small hole in the pad to allow the stock to move and simmer gently for 45 minutes. Strain the stock carefully through a cheesecloth and season with salt.
- In a small saucepan, bring honey to a boil. Add pepper and orange zest. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat a medium, ovenproof saute pan on high heat. Add duck breasts, skin-side down, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, allowing fat to render and the skin to brown. Turn the breasts over and sear the flesh side for I minute, then roast in the oven, skin-side down, for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the oven, turn the breasts over and add honey mixture. Baste on the stove on medium heat for 2 minutes, then allow to rest.
- Heat an ovenproof non-stick pan on high heat. Add duck legs, skin-side down, and roast for 8 to 9 minutes in the oven. Stir- Fried Bok Choy
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add bok choy and blanch for 90 seconds, then plunge it into an ice bath to refresh. Break off and dry the leaves.
- In a medium saute pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add ginger, garlic and chili and stir for 30 seconds to aromatize. Add bok choy leaves and saute gently for I to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.