This Mediterranean-inspired toastie is super delicious. The chickpeas are a really nice addition! The vegetables can be grilled the night before and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 1 Serving
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
- ¼ medium aubergine, cut into 1 cm thick slices
- ½ medium courgette, cut into 1 cm thick slices
- ⅛ medium red pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- Oil spray
- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- 1 small handful baby spinach leaves
- 30 g reduced-salt low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 150 g tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- Pinch of sweet paprika
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
How to Make It
- Heat a barbecue grill-plate or chargrill pan over high heat.
- Place the aubergine, courgette and pepper in a large bowl and spray with oil spray. Ensure that all the vegetables are lightly coated.
- Working in batches if necessary, grill the aubergine, courgette and pepper for 4–6 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat a sandwich press.
- To make the smashed chickpeas, place the chickpeas, garlic, paprika, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl and roughly mash with a fork until a chunky paste has formed. If it is too thick, add a little cold water until the desired consistency is reached.
- Place the slices of bread on a clean chopping board and spread over the smashed chickpeas. On one slice of bread, layer the spinach, grilled vegetables and feta. Top with the other slice of bread.
- Place the sandwich onto the sandwich press and gently press down the lid. Toast for 3–5 minutes or until the sandwich is golden.
- To serve, place the toastie on a serving plate and cut in half.