- Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 oz (25 g) butter
- 12 oz (350 g) gooseberries (fresh or frozen), topped, tailed and cut in half
- 4½ oz (125 g) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar, for sprinkling
For the Batter
- 4½fl oz (125 ml) milk
- 4½fl oz (125 ml) double or regular cream
- 4 eggs
- 2½ oz (60 g) plain flour
- 3½ oz (100 g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas mark 4 and place the pie dish in the oven to heat up.
- Place a frying pan on a high heat. Tip in the butter, gooseberries and the brown sugar. Cook, uncovered, for about 5–8 minutes, until the gooseberries have softened and sweetened.
- While this cooks, place all the ingredients for the batter in a blender or food processor (or just a bowl using a hand whisk) and whiz/whisk until completely blended.
- Take the dish out of the oven, pour the gooseberries and all their juices into the dish, then pour the batter over the gooseberries carefully so as not to disturb the fruits. Scatter the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar over the top and cook in the oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.