There’s just nothing like a great French onion soup. The onions are caramelized in the slow cooker for hours for maximum flavor.
- Yield: 8
- Preparation Time: 8 Hours
- ½ cup butter
- 5 sliced onions
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 6 cups beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 sliced of crusty bread
- 2½ cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 2 cups Swiss cheese
How to Make It
- Heat butter in the slow cooker and stir in the onions and sugar.
- Cook on low for 2 hours to caramelize the onions.
- Add the sherry, broth, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Stir well.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Place the bread slices on a sheet and brown in the oven for 8 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Combine the cheeses.
- Distribute the cheeses among 6 oven-proof bowls and pour a cup of soup over the cheeses.
- Top with the toasted bread.
- Place the bowls on a baking tray and place under the broiler for 2 minutes.