- 4 fresh lobsters (6 lbs/2½ kgs)
- 6 cups (1½ liters) water
- 2 stalks lemongrass, tender inner part of bottom third only, bruised
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- ¼ teaspoon white vinegar
- l½ cups (375 ml) coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon salt Crispy Fried Shallots
- 3 macadamia nuts or candlenuts, roughly chopped
- 2-3 red finger-length chilies
- 4-5 shallots, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 in (5 cm) turmeric root, sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 in (5 cm) ginger, sliced
- 1½ teaspoons coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon dried shrimp paste (trasi), dry-roasted
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 salam leaf or bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons Tamarind Juice
How to Make It
- Scrub and clean the lobsters. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat in a pot, add the lobsters and boil for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove them from the heat and immediately plunge them into a basin of iced water for 1 minute to cool. Strain and reserve the stock. Drain the lobsters and remove the meat from the shells. Discard the shells.
- Prepare the Spice Paste by grinding all the ingredients (except the oil, salam leaf and Tamarind Juice) to a smooth paste in a mortar or blender, adding a little oil if necessary to keep the mixture turning. Heat the oil over medium heat in a wok or skillet and stir-fry the Spice Paste until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the salam leaf and Tamarind Juice and simmer for about 2 minutes, then remove from the heat. Set aside.
- In a pot, bring the lobster stock, Spice Paste, lemongrass, lime leaves and vinegar to a boil over medium heat, then simmer uncovered for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the coconut cream, mix well and bring to a boil again, then simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the lobster meat, season with the salt and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with Crispy Fried Shallots and serve hot with steamed rice.