If squid is unavailable, replace with any firm fish fillets, such as snapper or sea bass.
- 1½ lbs (750 g) baby squid
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4–5 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1–2 red finger-length chilies, deseeded and sliced
- ½ cup (125 ml) Basic Spice Paste
- 1 cup (250 ml) Chicken Stock
- 5 sprigs Lemon Basil, sliced
- Crispy Fried Shallots
- Sprigs of Lemon Basil, to garnish
How to Make It
- Remove the skin of the squid and pull out the tentacles and head. Cut off and discard the head and beaky portion, but reserve the tentacles, if desired. Clean the squid thoroughly inside and out. Marinate the squid with the lime juice, pepper and salt.
- Heat the oil in a wok, add the shallots, chilies and squid and stir-fry for 2 minutes over high heat. Add the Spice Paste and continue to stir-fry for 1 more minute. Pour in the Chicken Stock, add the sliced basil and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 minute.
- Season with salt to taste and garnish with Lemon Basil and Crispy Fried Shallots.