When you have a roast cooking in the oven and sides cooking on the stovetop, you can complete your Sunday night meal by whipping up this corn bread in the slow cooker. It’s a great recipe to bring out around the holidays when your kitchen’s in full use.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 2 Hours
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper, sugar, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the buttermilk and eggs. Pour over the flour mixture and mix until just combined. The batter may be slightly lumpy.
- Pour the melted butter into the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker. Pour in the corn bread batter and spread it evenly.
- Place a long piece of paper towel over the top of the slow cooker and cover with the lid. Cook on High for 2 hours.
- Remove the lid and paper towels and let cool for 20 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.