There’s no need to say goodbye to cookies or chocolate when you’re eating low carb. This decadent butter is the proof, and it’s sure to become an absolute favorite!
- Yield: 1 cup (470 g/16.6 oz)
- 1½ cups (150 g/5.3 oz) almond flour
- 1/3 cup (50 g/1.8 oz) erythritol or Swerve
- ½ teaspoon baking soda mixed with 1 teaspoon cream of tartar, or 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar-free vanilla extract or ½ teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons (30 g/1.1 oz) butter or ghee, at room temperature
For Cookie Butter
- Crushed cookies
- ½ cup (112 g/4 oz) unsalted butter or ghee or coconut oil, at room temperature
- ½ cup (90 g/3.2 oz) dark chocolate chips, 85 percent cacao solids or more, or make your own
- Few drops liquid stevia, to taste (optional)
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C, or gas mark 2). To Make the Cookies
- In a mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, erythritol, baking soda and cream of tartar, and salt. Mix well to combine. Add the vanilla, lemon zest, egg yolks, and butter. Mix together well with your hands.
- Place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Top with another sheet of parchment and roll out to create a large cookie about ¼ inch (6.5 mm) thick. Transfer to a baking sheet and it in the preheated oven. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and crispy. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. When cool, break into smaller pieces. To Make the Cookie Butter
- In a food processor, pulse together the cookie pieces and butter until smooth. Add the chocolate chips. For a sweeter taste, add the stevia (if using). Pulse quickly to combine. Transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.