One of my favorite snacks to grab before a run are homemade fruit and nut bites. I make several variations, but this chocolate-cherry version wins every time. A touch of pure maple syrup gives the bites extra moisture so they stick together when rolled. It also pairs nicely with the tart dried cherries. Made from only a few familiar ingredients, these bites are pure dense energy and their simplicity makes them a perfect on-the-go treat.
- Yield: 16 bites
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 Minutes
- 1¾ cups (300 g) cashews
- 1 cup (120 g) dried cherries
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Place all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor, in the order listed, and blend on high for 4–5 minutes or until a thick and clumpy “dough” is formed. You may have to scrape down the sides of the blender/food processor a few times to get all of the dry ingredients to the bottom. Once a dough is formed, measure out 2 teaspoons, roll into a ball, and place on a large plate or lined cookie sheet. Repeat with all of the dough.
- Chill the bites in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Bites stay fresh stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.