- Yield: 4 (6 to 8 inch) Pizzas
- Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
- 2 pounds red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ cup white wine
- 3 links fresh chicken sausage
- 1 recipe Classic Pizza Dough or Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- All-purpose flour for rolling out and dusting
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Brie cheese, thinly sliced
How to Make It
- Prepare an indirect medium-hot fire in your grill, with heat on one side and no heat on the other.
- Over medium-high heat on the stovetop, in a large skillet coated with olive oil, sweat the onion, covered. Stir periodically so that the onions do not stick and burn on the bottom of the pan. After 20 minutes, remove the lid and add the thyme and white wine. Continue to cook for an additional 20 minutes, until the onion is well caramelized. The onion should cook down by about half in volume. The caramelized onion can be cooked 2 or 3 days in advance and refrigerated until ready to use. It can also be frozen for several months.
- At the same time, grill the chicken sausages over high heat for 6 to 8 minutes, turning them to brown all sides. Set the browned sausages in the indirect side of the grill for another 10 to 12 minutes with the grill lid closed to finish cooking the sausages.
- Slice the grilled chicken sausages ¼ inch thick on the diagonal.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions. On a floured surface, pat or roll each portion into a 6- to 8-inch-diameter circle.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush olive oil into a circle that’s a little larger than your pizza, and then place your pizza on the oiled circle. Brush the top of the pizza with olive oil.
- Lift the pizza by holding the ends of the parchment paper. At a height of about 6 inches above the grill, flip the circle of dough onto the hot side of the grill grates. Quickly peel off the parchment and close the lid. Grill the pizza for 2 to 3 minutes, or until it has good grill marks. Turn the pizza with tongs and move it to the indirect side. Spread the pizza with one-quarter of the caramelized onions and sausage, and arrange the slices of apples and Brie like wagon wheel spokes. Cover and grill for 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat the process with the other pizzas. Serve hot.