This classic French dessert will bring a light, sweet ending to a romantic meal for two.
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) champagne or other sparkling wine
- 2 mint sprigs (optional)
- ladyfingers or other cookie and strawberries
How to Make It
- Place the egg yolks, sugar and wine in a medium-sized heatproof bowl. Beat with a thin wire whisk until very light and foamy.
- Place the bowl over, not in, simmering water. Continue beating until the mixture becomes almost as thick as whipped cream, greatly increases in volume, and begins to feel warm.
- (It should not feel hot.) You may need to remove it from the heat occasionally to reach the correct thickness and temperature. Do not overcook it or you will curdle the eggs.
- Spoon the sabayon into two martini or other decorative glasses. Garnish each with a sprig of mint, if using. Serve with ladyfingers or other cookie and strawberries for dipping.