Ambrosia salad was a popular potluck dish in the ’50s and ’60s, serving double duty as both a side dish and a dessert. While this dish is more commonplace in the South, it’s sure to earn raves all across the country.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained and separated
- ½ cup maraschino cherries, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup green grapes, cut in half
- 1 small red apple, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
How to Make It
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the cream and confectioners’ sugar on medium speed until it holds stiff peaks. Whisk in the sour cream. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the pineapple chunks, oranges, cherries, grapes, apple chunks, marshmallows, and coconut.
- Fold in the sour cream mixture and toss to combine.
- Chill for 2 hours. Serve.