As delicious as it is, you really want to make sure you don’t add too much almond extract to this healthy muffin, as its strong flavor can go from “good” to “overwhelming” quite easily. And as tempting as it is to go all out with the chocolate chips, you really need only a few, as you don’t want them to overwhelm the subtler flavors of the almond and coconut.
- Yield: 1 Muffin
- 3 tbsp (20 g) oat flour
- 1 tbsp (6 g) almond flour
- 1 tbsp (5 g) unsweetened shredded coconut, plus more for topping
- 1 tbsp (7 g) sliced almonds, plus more for topping
- ½ tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp (30–44 ml) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup
- 0.12 tsp almond extract
- A few mini chocolate chips, for topping (for vegan option, use vegan chocolate chips)
- Combine the oat flour, almond flour, shredded coconut, sliced almonds, baking powder and salt in a small microwave-safe mug or bowl.
- Add the applesauce, maple syrup and almond extract, mixing until the ingredients are well combined. Sprinkle the top with additional almonds and coconut, plus a few chocolate chips, to taste.
- Microwave your muffin on high for 2 minutes and allow it to cool slightly before enjoying.