These Dals can be made with more or less water, for a thinner or thicker consistency. The chili and garlic make it authentically tasty. If you use less water for a thicker soup, it offers more lentils per serving, and thus more protein.
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Total Time: 1 Hour 25 Minutes
- ½ cup of dry orange/red/pink lentils
- 1 & ½ to 2 cups of water to mix
- ¼ tsp of turmeric
- 1/3 to ½ tsp of salt, sea
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- ½ tsp of cumin seeds
- ½ chopped pepper, serrano chili, as desired
- 3 sliced garlic cloves
- 3 to 4 tbsp of red onion, chopped
- 1 generous dash curry powder
How to Make It
- To prepare lentils, wash them and then drain well. Add them to a deep pan with 1 & ½ cups of filtered water, then turmeric and salt, as desired. Cover pan partially and cook at med-low till they are tender. This usually takes between 15 and 20 minutes.
- For tempering, add oil to small pan on med. heat. Add cumin seeds. Cook for several seconds till they become fragrant and change color.
- Add chili and garlic. Cook till garlic becomes golden brown in color. Add onion and cook till it is translucent. Add dash of curry powder and combine. Taste. Adjust seasoning as desired. Serve while hot.