In the mood for a tropical treat? In this recipe, we’ve combined a summery mix of fresh pineapples and desiccated coconut with a classic streusel cake topping. It’s quite easy to make and highly customizable. Try versions with peaches, plums, rhubarb, or pretty much any fruit. Anything goes, and almost everything will work.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Total Time: 50 Minutes
- 1⅓ cup (160 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (40 g) desiccated coconut
- ½ cup (100 g) white sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, liquid
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (180 ml) lukewarm water
- 1 cup (220 g) pineapple chunks (fresh or canned)
- ¼ cup (50 g) cold vegan butter
- ⅔ cup (80 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 g) white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C.
- Place all the dry ingredients for the cake base in a mixing bowl and combine. Add the wet ingredients except the pineapple chunks and whisk until a smooth batter is formed.
- Lightly oil a 10 × 8 inch (26 × 20 cm) baking pan and pour in the cake batter. Spread the pineapple chunks evenly across the top of the mixture and press them a bit into the mixture. For Streusel
- Add the cold butter, all-purpose flour, and sugar in a bowl and mix and knead with your fingers or a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle the streusel on top of the uncooked cake.
- Bake the cake in the oven for about 25 minutes. When the streusel topping is nice and golden, your cake is ready. We know it’s hard, but make sure to let it cool off before serving.