- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- butter, for greasing
- 3 large potatoes (about 600 g)
- 3 carrots
- ½ a small swede (about 150 g)
- ¼ pumpkin or butternut squash (about 200 g)
- ½ small onion, finely sliced 300 ml whole milk
- 300 ml double cream
- 50 g Gruyère or Cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and black pepper
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6. Rub the cut garlic clove over the inside of a shallow 1-litre ovenproof dish and then grease the dish with butter.
- Slice all the vegetables as thinly as you can. Arrange them in layers in the dish, starting and finishing with layers of potato. Season each layer as you go.
- Mix together the milk and double cream and pour them over the vegetables. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake the gratin in the oven for about 45 minutes, until the vegetables are tender when you test them with a knife and the cheese has melted and browned.