- Yield: 4 Servings
- 6 oz/175 g dried chickpeas or 1½ cups canned, drained and rinsed
- 2–3 ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 romaine lettuce, torn
- crusty bread, to serve
For the Dressing
- 1 green chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 lemons juice and zest
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- black pepper
How to Make It
- If using dried chickpeas, soak overnight, then boil for 30 minutes, or until soft. Let cool.
- Put the chile, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, water, and black pepper in a screw-top jar and shake vigorously. Taste and add more lemon juice or oil if necessary.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, and basil to the chickpeas and mix gently. Pour over the dressing and mix again. Arrange on a bed of lettuce and serve with crusty bread.