These cupcakes are made with juicy, sweet pineapple and crunchy, buttery macadamia nuts, giving them a slightly tropical twist.
- Yield: 10 cupcakes
- 1½ cups grated carrots
- ½ cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 cup chopped fresh or canned pineapple
- 1¾ cups light spelt flour, or 1 cup light spelt flour and ¾ cup einkorn flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup light olive oil
- 2 large eggs
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 10 cupcake cups with foil or paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the carrots, nuts, and pineapple. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. In a large bowl using an electric mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the coconut palm sugar, vanilla, and oil on medium speed. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the carrot mixture in 2 additions, mixing until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups and bake until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 17 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.