Now, if you think a burger isn’t swank enough to serve at a dinner celebrating a raise, you would be wrong. This burger is pure luxury. It has all the taste extras of steak tartare and is worthy of any special occasion.
- 2 pounds top-quality ground beef round
- ½ cup finely diced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons tiny capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 or 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, or more if needed
- 6 fresh-baked hamburger buns
- ½ cup Béarnaise Mayonnaise
- 6 slices ripe tomato
- 6 leaves Boston lettuce
How to Make It
- Place the ground beef in a mixing bowl. Add the onion, parsley, capers, cognac, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce. Season generously with salt and pepper. Blend everything together lightly and form the mixture into 6 patties.
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the burgers and cook for 5 minutes on the first side. Turn, and cook for 3 minutes longer for medium-rare. (If you prefer a more well-done burger, cook for 1 to 2 minutes more on the second side.)
- While the burgers cook, toast the buns.
- Spread a heaping tablespoon of Béarnaise Mayonnaise on the bottom half of each bun. Add the burger, a slice of tomato, a lettuce leaf, and the top of the bun. Serve immediately.